Why I Love Texas

13 May

I’m not from Texas.  I’m not from anywhere really.  We moved around a lot growing up because my Father was an officer in the Navy.  My brother was born in WA,  my Sister was born in Italy, and I was born in FL, we were all born within five years, so you get the picture. After the Navy, my parents became involved in ministry and we moved around because of that. My dad was the Assistant Pastor of different churches and home groups through the Mid-West.  We finally settled in the Ozark Mountains of North Arkansas when I was 13, which is a story in itself, but for another time.  I think I’m a gypsy deep in my heart and the idea of living somewhere for a long time feels unnatural.  I mean, there’s a whole world out there to see and experience, why would you ever want to be in one place for too long?

Then I fell in love with a man living in Texas and as a result fell in love with Texas.  My daughter was born in Texas, and I imagine, my other children (yet to be) will be, too.

Here is what I love about Texans and Texas (these are generalizations, from my experiences, not proven facts):

• They’re friendly, I’m mean just plain old, hug your neck friendly.
  • Hard workers.
  • Polite.
  • Multi-cultural.
  • Bluebonnets.
  • Texas thunderstorms.
  • I love that this is the largest state and there’s EVERYTHING in this state.
  • Texans are loud and proud.
  • Tex-Mex!
  • Lone Star – Texas’ very own beer.
  • HEB (I miss you, please come to N. Texas).
  • Country swing music.
  • Big cities and rural towns within minutes from each other.
  • Barton springs and the Green Belt.
  • Incredible communities.  It seems once you find your people here you’re in for good.

Why do you love Texas?

About these ads

7 Responses to “Why I Love Texas”

1. Des May 13, 2010 at 4:07 pm #

I couldn’t begin to count the ways.
    But definitely on that list would be because YOU are in Texas now :-)

2. Michelle May 13, 2010 at 5:03 pm #

1. The Hill Country!!!

2. All the springs, creekbeds, rivers that we can swim in.

3. West Texas, Guadalupe Mountains, Palo Duro Canyon, Enchanted Rock and all the many other natural wonders of Texas.

4. The vast variety of cultures

5. Limestone rock of the hill country

6. Texas peaches, grapefruit, wine, and beer

7. The independent spirit of Texans

8. ALL my friends who I have met here.

3. Michelle May 13, 2010 at 5:06 pm #

PS Our families should visit the following places:
    Enchanted Rock
    Fort Davis
    Big Bend
    Padre Island

4. Jeani May 13, 2010 at 6:36 pm #

Super sonic lightening
    Dallas Restaurants YO Ranch, Nuevo Leon, Lombardi’s, Trulucks et cetera ad….
    Dallas Vibe
    Dallas Safe feeling in the city
    Not too humid
    Just enough winter to have spring
    How y’all doin
    True melting pot

I always say, if Dallas had an ocean, and I’d found a good church, I’d ah stayed.

5. Kristen May 13, 2010 at 8:22 pm #

don’t forget the stars. the sky here is my favorite in all of the world :)

6. ashley November 21, 2010 at 6:51 pm #

it’s a place i’ll defend forever. despite how flat, hot and brown it can be. it’s home and i’m proud of it. and even better, i’m proud when others just don’t get it. it’s one of those things that makes me special.

7. Brooke April 11, 2012 at 1:35 pm #

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Texas is not the largest state; Alaska is the largest state. I love me some Texas. I went to 1st through 12th grade just outside of Houston. However, my cousins are from Alaska and love to remind me at every occasion that Alaska is bigger by a long shot.